Saturday, August 4, 2012

QUICK FRESH SALSA

I got the idea for this recipe from one of my daughters and tweaked it a bit.  It's not quite as fresh tasting if you use canned tomatoes,  but still tastes great.  Budget-friendly tip:  I often use crushed red pepper in place of fresh hot peppers.  It's a bit less expensive and I always have a container on hand.

1/2 large green pepper
1/2 medium onion
1 or 2 garlic cloves, sliced
2  14.5 cans whole tomatoes or 3 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and quartered
juice of 1 lime
cilantro leaves, to taste (I use about 1/3 cup.)
1/4- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or one hot pepper, cut up
salt to taste


Cut onion and pepper in chunks and place in food processor with garlic slices.  Process for a few seconds.  Add remaining ingredients and process until all is chopped.  Makes about 4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment