Tuesday, February 26, 2013

GERMAN RED CABBAGE

This has to be my favorite way to eat cabbage.  I used to make it with bacon, but this healthy version is just as good!  This recipe is a combination of a couple of recipes I had, with some additions of my own, so I guess it's original! 

6 cups diced red cabbage
1 medium apple, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey or agave
1 tablespoon Smart Balance or Earth Balance spread
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
 1 tablespoon water
salt to taste

Place cabbage in a large skillet.  Cover with salted water and bring to a boil.  Boil for one minute.  Drain well.  Stir in remaining ingredients, except salt.  Return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-60  minutes or until tender.  Remove bay leaf.  Add salt to taste.  Makes about 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment