Sunday, August 26, 2012

 SIMPLE HUMMUS

We always enjoyed hummus, but as part of our healthy eating plan, I make it at least once a month.  Through trial and error, I came up with my own favorite way to make it. This recipe makes a lot, so sometimes I freeze half of it to use later.  It's budget-friendly, especially if you make your own tahini.  See instructions on my baba ghannooj post here.


2 15.5-ounce cans garbanzo beans
1/2 cup tahini (ground toasted sesame seeds)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
chopped roasted red peppers (opt.)
pita and raw veggie dippers

Drain one of the cans of garbanzo beans.  Leave the other can undrained.  Place in blender container along with remaining ingredients.  Blend until smooth.  Top each serving with roasted red peppers, if desired.  Serve with pita triangles or pita chips, and raw veggie dippers.  Makes about 4 cups dip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment