Thursday, October 18, 2012

BAKED HUSH PUPPIES

These taste remarkably like hush puppies, in spite of the fact that they are baked rather than deep fried.  They go well with fish, of course, but they also make a great snack as well as an accompaniment with a soup or bean type of main dish.  This is a recipe I had in my files for many years and tried when I was looking for something to go with a spicy bean stew. I made a few changes to make it healthier and (we think) tastier.  I like to keep a bag of these in my freezer.

2/3 cup whole grain cornmeal
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (opt.)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup fat free milk
2 egg whites
1 1/2 tablespoons olive or canola oil

Combine first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Whisk together remaining ingredients in another bowl.  Stir into dry ingredients just until blended.  Fill oiled mini muffin cups 3/4 full and bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Remove from pans.  Makes about 2 dozen.           

No comments:

Post a Comment